Take your therapy to the next level. Sign up today for this online, self-paced course!
What you'll get:
- Fun and engaging video lectures broken down into bite-sized chunks, handouts, and case studies with tons of video so you can see everything in action
- 8 hours of continuing education (OTs--yes this counts towards your license and/or your NBCOT renewal. For those OTs in CA, this counts for 8 hours towards your SWC! SLPs--Yes you can take this course and get your certificate of attendance, but we cannot guarantee that ASHA will approve this course towards your licensure.)
- Access to our best tools so you can use them with families or in your practice to help you with things like goal writing and treatment planning
- 3 months access to complete this self-paced course and get your certificate of completion
- A comprehensive understanding of "Baby Led Weaning"
- A flexible understanding of how to use "BLW" with infants and toddlers with special needs
- More effective tools in your feeding therapy toolbox
Baby Led Weaning is a method of transitioning to solids and a concept which supports infants as they learn to chew and eat. BLW turns the "traditional" method of transitioning to solids on its head and it has gained substantial popularity over the past decade with typically developing babies. Yet it's often not discussed or used with kiddos who have special needs and developmental differences, which we believe is a HUGE missed opportunity. Purees pouches, biscuits, cookies, and puffs are not working for many kiddos- especially for those with developmental delays and special need, which leaves so many of us feeling a little "stuck" with our clients. We want to change that by diving deep into the physiology of how an infant learns to eat and how we as OTs can support that--even when a child has developmental or neuromuscular differences--using BLW.
The evidence suggests that medical professionals are not as knowledgable about Baby Led Weaning as parents, but especially with kiddos who have special needs, parents need and want additional support with feeding their babies! They are looking to us as experts for advice on how to modify and use BLW with their unique child. We want to support you with understanding BLW and being that expert your clients need. In this course we break down BLW and oral motor development then emphasize intervention ideas which support oral motor skill development, oral sensory mapping, and motor planning for the ability to safely eat a wide variety of foods. We will also touch on the parent-child dyad during feeding and how to support parents.
If you are an OT working with toddlers and young children who have difficulty with chewing, moving past purees, negative mealtime behaviors, and restricted diets, this course will change your practice and improve your therapy outcomes. We think it will grow the foundation of your practice as a feeding therapist.
**This course is taught by Kim & Kary, 2 OTs who have combined over 25 years of experience working in just about every available setting for pediatric feeding and swallowing. Kim & Kary are co-owners of Feeders & Growers and are consultants for Solid Starts.**